Roadtrip to old military base

Post up your pix, post new locations, experiences ect.
Timon

Roadtrip to old military base

Post by Timon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:08 pm

So, thinking about doing a trip out to an old military base in SA, will have to be very sneaky and use all our urbexing powers, this is a top secret restricted area still, who wants in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Defe ... _Nurrungar
xeld8p[1].jpg
It's ok Maverick is here!

Timon

Re: Roadtrip to old military base

Post by Timon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 pm

TOP SECRET PICTURES
18481285.jpg
18481351.jpg
18481513.jpg
63188196.jpg
Love the obvious GATE sign on a gate.
guard_box.jpg
Guard box you need to drive past to get to the base, be advised this is AFTER those Gates.. if there is a guard manned here we will be rooted!
(110.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Secret_Base.jpg
the base!

Nick
Respected
Respected

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:35 pm

I've done stuff more high sec than that, they locked it up, and they left it, I reakon you'd be right to go,
I've looked into this in the past, flying to Womera is expensive,
I'm guessing it may have been explored before - Inside the fence of the large facility there are many large rooms including kitchens and some secure rooms. There is even still a tennis court on the grounds. The whole facility is completely empty and stripped of lights and power plugs. There are still bulletproof secure rooms in the facility. Along the inside the fence there are rows of barbwire, microwave beams and many other security features.

It's a long way to go for a fairly small site, "Army and Air Force have been jointly using the site off and on since 2009", although if you're driving, Mount Gambier hostpital = awesome explore.

Timon

Post by Timon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 am

Yeah i have found a few bits of information on the net from other people who have explored the base, but not gone into any of the buildings, its not a high security base anymore as you can just drive right into it basicly but i still recon it would be pretty fun :P the history of the place alone would make it interesting to explore.
also a few other bits and pieces i found about this place.. when it went for auction

http://www.riverinafoxeswanted.com/Nurrungar/auction/
check out the USAF htm files :) shame these are just web archives the originals are long gone, interesitng tho! shows how big it once was i guess. full generator specs in there and all

Nick
Respected
Respected

Post by Nick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:35 am

Fair hike for you,
Meet in Adelaide?

Timon

Post by Timon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 pm

hehe sure, once i get the new car ill let you know, few months :) the base won't go anywhere in the meantime heh

And yeah it is a pretty fair distance, going to bring a friend along so we can rotate drivers, should be epic fun

Timon

Post by Timon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Hey NICK, that hospital looks interesting, someone told me it has tunnels under it, know anything about that?