Telecom tunnels around Sydney

Post up your pix, post new locations, experiences ect.
Forum rules
Timon

Telecom tunnels around Sydney

Postby Timon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Came across this website awhile back about the telecom tunnels around Sydney, it offers great clues of locations of such tunnels
in the Sydney CBD Area, some now disused some not.
I remember looking around the old Telecom building, formally the GPO building right next to central station when i was younger.
It was totally abandon/disused at the time.. i remember looking through the windows of the front doors to see
old telecom signs and further back i could see desks with equipment still on them...
I looked all around the building to try find a way in sadly i never got it.. from memory it had bars on the first
floor everywhere i looked and it was so long ago that i could not scale buildings lol, always has had me wondering
what was hidden down in the basement !!!
The building at the time of me looking just looked like everyone walked out one day leaving everything there, it sat there for a few years at least totally disused.
This building is now some posh ass hotel for rich snobs but i bet the tunnels under the building are still there.

anyway!

http://www.sydneyarchitecture.com/SUB/SUB-05.htm
Attachments
gpo1.jpg
Building side entrance
gpo2.jpg
Building now, front entrance

Nick
Respected
Respected

Re: Telecom tunnels around Sydney

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 pm

This makes me hard... Very hard.

What they mentioned about being able to look up through grates and see people, either that's an exaduration, or access wouldn't be that hard...

Timon

Postby Timon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

I have been in other tunnels that you can look up and watch people walk over the grates, never any telco tunnels though...
well some old cable tunnels mainly old power ones, but mostly storm water drains heh

Nick
Respected
Respected

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 pm

I've never heard of anyone doing them... I've heard of many people who've discussed it though.

Constant workplace heath and safety makes stuff like this a fair bit easier, you know that there's someone who's made it so all the doors can be opened from the inside without keys, fire escapes and the like...

Zero-Fear
Loyal
Loyal

Postby Zero-Fear » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:10 am

those Telstra tunnels are everywhere and its as simply as lifting the lid to get in. it has lights inside.
Zero-Fear

Nick
Respected
Respected

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Was that an assumption or based on fact?
If it's the latter, would one need Gatic lifters or just pit keys?

Timon

Postby Timon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm

i hear the in use telstra tunnels are alarmed, is this true or not? also from memory the telstra tunnels have locks under a flap in the lid.

knuckles
Respected
Respected

Postby knuckles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am

Wouldn't the entry be to these tunnels (this is only a guess) be through the telco trunks?

Timon

Postby Timon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm

not sure, i know there is lids all around the city for them though

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Postby -cy- » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Yes all telstra tunnels are alarmed, with a 24 7 monitor at GOC in clayton.
Telstra even have a back-up GOC with all the same connections to the mainline and used to practice doing emergency runs between clayton and the location and could move all staff and up and running in 45min, tho they could do a cold start with new staff in a matter of minutes.

If the tunnel in some way still carries something active it has a pressure trip at ever opening, and check with schedualed works before investigating further or calling cops and own security.

Would be awesome to explore the old ones tho, there are a few abandoned or leased out tunnels in most states

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:21 pm

... to get onto the past again, I remember when a few of the old ausphreak crew found an army base with gigantic tunnels and found a manual guide. years ago. it will be good when there's a meet up... again..

Return to “Urbex”