AusPhreak.com.au Suggestions

Talk about everything NOT related to Phreaking or the bellow categories
Forum rules
Shyft
Newb
Newb

Re: AusPhreak.com.au Suggestions

Postby Shyft » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Any chance we can get a black texk on white/light background theme? My eyes are killing me with all this black.

Freak
Donater
Donater

Postby Freak » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Shyft wrote:Any chance we can get a black texk on white/light background theme? My eyes are killing me with all this black.

Hrmm HRMMMMMM anyone else?

Timon

Postby Timon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:42 pm

just when i finally got use to this theme :P
all good im up for whatever

Shyft
Newb
Newb

Postby Shyft » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Or even some option for individual users to choose their themes

Freak
Donater
Donater

Postby Freak » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm

added a bar at the bottom as you can see. gives you points n some shit and eventually you get free shit. what do you think?

edit: nevermind its been taken off

bush
Newb
Newb

Postby bush » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Freak wrote:added a bar at the bottom as you can see. gives you points n some shit and eventually you get free shit. what do you think?

edit: nevermind its been taken off

but i want free shit :(

Freak
Donater
Donater

Postby Freak » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:15 pm

it was fucking ugly and in your face just ask timon lol

Timon

Postby Timon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 am

derrr it freaked me out man!!! lol

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I think that a few things that would help, having just been sent to some dedicated chat channel of an unrelated irc server

> dedicated server or at least dedicated chatroom and, perhaps, a private one too; or a wholy private one. It is better when you don't oblige yourself to appeasing ~everyone~, as nice as it can be it can keep the discussion sometimes a little faltered

> content that is essentially within the format or scope of comp. sci, telecom, electronics, mathematics etc

> users regularly engage themselves in projects that can be shared with the community

> it may sound arbitrary, but honestly, a blog. If you need anyone - I will happily write on security issues every day, if I could get the chance.

I could come up with countless more.

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:47 pm

> and a meet up, specific meetings, came up with a few more just then on IRC..

practically follow the neworder approach..

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:34 am

for more, I could probably scratch my head for a while and think of anything cool that the ausphreak crew used to do. To check - this is an entirely different crew - isn't it? I can see some old faces but I don't remember any of the admin's handles from previous times.

If I could make a bid that is much more appealing, feasible, simply a new section for computer related issues or even more specifically places for writings, independent or dependent on category, I think that a section for "too-torials" or really, "papers" or even "write ups" (on even basic things like the structure, technology of exchanges, telco), etc.

The general discussion thread usually included things relating to Ausphreak itself, we had a phreaking section, one for news/discussion ~I think~ and one for guides, and different sections for different technologies. computers was almost the same, there were actually different sections for different issues, general discussion, papers, exploits, etc. Mind you, it was different back then because people were there for a different sort of purpose. Material was much more scarce, we were not so data rich and we were really more interested in using, producing, learning from, improving on material and methods.

I think that heavier involvement in the scene in general would be a good thing. And a closer relationship between the people would grow from heavier involvement. It was better when there was a crew, and it was active, and regularly it would take people in. If I remember correctly, AusRambo who eventually made quite an amount of money came as almost a complete newcomer to the scene. In lieu of his development through the crew, it led him to make an exorbitant amount of money, and the crew members actually worked on his projects with him.

I guess I was really looking for a computer-related crew, not a telco-related crew. It used to be the same, sigh.

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:38 am

But seriously, if we could make the transition to resemble a crew in anyway, it's more superfluous, but maybe with an exploit archive, section for guides (which I would happily write regularly), place for coding. I just remembered, we had a section for Programming in the original ausphreak.

Since there are a lot of newcomers too, maybe a section for "basic" guides would be good too. Making a beige box, overview of pillars, pits, basic guides on different technologies I don't know really... structure of Telstra related services.

There are even quite a few basic ones I'd like to write, even ~really~ simple ones demonstrating how easy pillars are to pick, how to connect to a line, etc.

Timon

Postby Timon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Don't need to pick locks on pillars when you got the key dating back to the olden days haha, i think we all got keys by now.. its been long enough heh

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:35 am

Timon wrote:Don't need to pick locks on pillars when you got the key dating back to the olden days haha, i think we all got keys by now.. its been long enough heh

I was never a massive phreak really, I remember though that only one of us owned one in the old AP, but I really wouldn't have any interest in one anyway. I like the ability of it, but it's not something I'd ever truly think to do.

There isn't much used to it. I wouldn't mind a key - maybe you could post a photo of yours? I remember at the time it was actually a really neat little addition. (a ruler next to it of course).

Physical security incidentally I find far more interesting than phreaking in a lot of ways, you move into the chemistry of oxyacetylene torches, RFID circuits etc; though that is just me and I'd doubt it appeals to quite a lot of people, you simply have no use for it, but it interested me none the less.

I'm not really sure how people write papers these days, I haven't seen new material in years and years. Setting to the overall purpose I'm not sure the sort of thing you would want. I never minded that site hackaday, I thought that the interesting miscellany was actually a great addition. People follow some things blindly out of interest. About a year ago, I had honestly about $200 worth of junk. Old hard drives, windows CD's, an old computer, a miniature beige box, even shit like Norton Network Security 2005. I sold it all to this guy for around $2000. whatever I erected - he would honestly simply buy it. I could not find a use for a Norton Network Security 2005 CD in a million, billion, trillion years.

I remember when I started out with my own 'pursuits' in phreaking, sort of nonsense things like connecting to a pillar, or house, creating remote circuits for monitoring directly from the line, viewing infrastructure some of which I still have barely invested any time in, it seemed a bit a novelty. I still think for however meaningless my pursuits were, I think that everyone did enjoy that we shared an interest in technology together and of course we were practically all suited to each other.

But eventually, within my own life things were far more serious than rick rolling a Bigpond Employee for a radio show, though I did actually love the concept, still, and the content, I thought it was excellent when we produced a radio show, I think I only ever made it to one conference that eventually wasn't even used because it fucked up.

I started so long ago now, and I never got up to toooo much, so I guess I always look for something thats really research
based in this time. (The true answer is actually that I'm a avid introvert)

Seeing as you're a pretty honest bloke and a nice guy, I eventually left behind anyone, in my life and in my milieux, whichever it may be, that had this sense of entitlement, or, comfortable aquiescence at the detriment of someone else.

It is almost impossible to conceive meeting truly benevolent, coherent people.

In summary, I'm an avid autodidact so things that don't revolve around auto didacticism, non-theoretical discussions really don't quite suit me, and my eventual purpose with a group is evidently an efficient system for mutual benefit.

and if you haven't picked it yet, (it is extremely easy to grap), aspie 100%

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:05 am

Timon wrote:Don't need to pick locks on pillars when you got the key dating back to the olden days haha, i think we all got keys by now.. its been long enough heh

but no offence intended, I simply think we would have entirely different approaches. You're quite interested in telecommunications, personal-hobby-enthusiast reasons as well as security, I'm probably entirely focused on security, so I found it even hard to join a group that didn't actually retain anonymity, .. didn't host offshore .., didn't have a means to cultivate a fertile environment. I guess nobody here really gets up to much though, so it isn't really like the old days! It was a different group then though. It really is an enthusiasts forum, and it started as that but there were many discussions, constant discussions on technologies, security, exploits. I haven't actually heard a information security issue pointed to this day. Papers were published though I think still at that point scarcely. New material was always added.

I think the thing which was actually greatest was that there was actually such a compassion for one another, we even arranged sessions to dumpster dive! some of us lived i mean maybe 1000km away from each other!

I miss those practices, so much. Then it was actually hidden away, I believe in Australia, in the media, there hadn't been a news story break on computer hacking for at least four years when we started, it certainly wasn't something you'd expect the media to talk about, now it is standard issue, on any number of the start-up technology-related news sites that started up, ACA, the standard news programs, even the non piece of shit news programs like ABC News, and Lateline. So I guess we emblazoned all of the hacker ideals, I eventually thought it was even funny that for some reason someone had managed to spend nearly a thousand dollars importing shitloads of jolt (he eventually found a way to sell it, and ordered them in like three more times).

I remember the old crew were quite, quite, quite close and the relationship between most of each was an honest mateship. The key aspect I think was actually non-judgmental mentality based on mutual interest and respect. Incidentally I'd swear blind we were all greater mates than we were pioneers of the security, we were pioneers of the scene because we were such a great crew! but we weren't at all pioneers of security engineering, except perhaps in our own self. I wouldn't remember a single person who contributed to either the underground or the white hat scene etc. We weren't actually very well organised or mostly even the least bit serious but we weren't necessarily looking for challenges constantly. It would perhaps pay to be that close with this sort of group, though I really wouldn't, my life went far beyond the pleasure of being able to indulge comfortably in research.

I eventually had a fall out with a few people and there wasn't much made of it, I really don't care for anyone who isn't - unrelentingly honest and forward. It doesn't sit well with people, but I wouldn't change it for a thing. Some people have an extremely limited emotional basis and aren't entirely cultured any so far more than they please, practically, just regular, bigoted, self righteous mind that wouldn't ever dare criticise itself.

On an irrelevant note, I'm probably not spending much time here anyway, I recently had someone who is a current stpaffer randomly express some concern in telling me he does not favour me because he has no time to discuss something. A random attack, with no basis, other than to express some concern and express the notion of disregarding the interest or wellbeing in another. I find those people intrepid, I've found far harder days in the streets than I have in fucking internet forums, but yet people still carry on the asperity for anyone they easily choose not to care about. Not the least bit dependable. Self-entitled crusaders with no constructive argument.

I guess the other reason I leave is because I'm probably seeking for a furtive community solely on the basis we will use our time for greater things. I've met some absolutely brilliant international blokes... and, I'll probably be nurturing my own group at some time solely based on research.

But yeah, ausphreak is great if you're looking out for an enthusiastic endeavour; interest or just for fun, though I'm not sure it is really quite a project to everyone to be so heavily involved in specific, constant technical tasks. People can join to do anything they like, but my needs are pretty different to that. Most of the crew isn't here because they've got older. I'm sure some of them would still make it if they could briefly and some have but I can honestly understand if they're too old for fucking around now. I wouldn't make the time if I weren't relatively time abundant.

landau
Big Maggot
Big Maggot

Postby landau » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:09 am

but if you are interest in phys sec., be sure to give me a buzz! it'd be great to have a brainstorm

footprince
Loyal
Loyal

Postby footprince » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:33 am

Not sure what your vision for the site is (freak, timon) but I would really like to see some kind of electronics section, where we can contribute and share ideas on general home electronics projects... Unless its just a general discussion thread topic... Wether you want to appeal to a broader spectrum of people in order to achieve a greater number of members, or appeal to something more refined is naturally up to you...

Timon

Postby Timon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 pm

sounds good :P

Freak
Donater
Donater

Postby Freak » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:46 am

footprince wrote:Not sure what your vision for the site is (freak, timon) but I would really like to see some kind of electronics section, where we can contribute and share ideas on general home electronics projects... Unless its just a general discussion thread topic... Wether you want to appeal to a broader spectrum of people in order to achieve a greater number of members, or appeal to something more refined is naturally up to you...

We heard you 7 years later and have added a section called "Electronics and Gadgets" in the Other Communications/Technology.

If you think it should be a parent topic let me know.

illicitBits
Small Maggot
Small Maggot

Postby illicitBits » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Make links in posts open in new window automatically.

Return to “General Discussion”