Hello.

Talk about everything NOT related to Phreaking or the bellow categories
wangface
Newb
Newb

Hello.

Post by wangface » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Making my presence here known. It's me, wangface. A few of you may recall. Was pretty socially active in Phreakau / Ausphreak circles circa 2001 / 2002 / 2003, and by extension the 2600 meets of that epoch. Anybody from what I like to think was the "2nd wave of great Perth phreaking" (hehehehehe) could remember me, babyfaced with a questionable mullet style haircut, and dressed by my mother. In 2003, graffiti piqued my interest and I headed down that path pretty much in 2004, eschewing a few other "loves" if you will, (electronic) music, phreaking and basketball being amongst those who saw less of my time as fell deeper into a life of crime and substance dependence. Well, now I'm back, and ready to brute force any exchange door with a pry bar or stolen Hyundai Excel in return for the appropriate amounts of peer respect and amphetamines.

A few familiar names floating around here, Zaleth being one. I found an old Marlinspike tutorial in my shed the other day, replete with water damage and commendable ASCII diagrams for the topology of of Telstra's IP telephony. Good shit.

I still occasionally see Dr. Embargo trekking the streets of Perth like the intrepid communist subversive I always admired him for being. That, and being the System Of A Down drummer's more crowdshy Doppleganger.

There's a ton of madkuntz I lost touch with along the way that I wish I could again chat with, but I fear most of these people have gone on to do the unthinkable; get paid work :( This always saddens me. As much as depression has robbed me of about 10 years of my adult life, it did teach me never to submit to the working week.

Anybody know where Dataclysm from Adelaide went? He was probably one of the best phreaks in the country, and indeed one of the 2 or 3 smartest I spoke to. Remote programming RIMs n shit. Fuckin' king.

No_Protocol, he flogged an X2 from one of the more dodgy parts of Perth, respect.

From my immersion into graffiti (sub)culture, I can tell that the two schemas work in similar ways, except that phreaks n hackers are much more coy with personal details, which I at first found weird, but now respect. Graffiti vandals are, owing to their usually naive age, inherently fast and lose with names, numbers, faces, data, photos. Enough of that. Will be setting up a Faraday Cage.

Anybody in W.A. who requires the services of a wiry, agile 6'3 lad with a personality disorder, hit me up.

Areas of interest:

Exchanges / diving

Smartrider tech

Crime

Late '90s Drum n Bass

Railway signalling tech

:)

Peace

Freak
Donater
Donater

Re: Hello.

Post by Freak » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:23 pm

railway signalling tech, oh no, that just shouts out mental disorder :P
i mean HELLO wangface :P welcome to the nutjobs forum we all have brain damage here and put it to good use harhar!

wangface
Newb
Newb

Post by wangface » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks mate. Yeah, sure does :) The amount of weird railway freaks / trainspotters in graff subculture made for a seamless segway from phreaking culture, hehe. I am probably borderline, oh well, what better place than here to manifest said disorder :)

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Post by -cy- » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm

well well well!!!
if it isnt the wang!

good to see ya face, i too delved into the crime/substance abuse... tho have a good life now. remember u from back in the day. still like the budz but with a child of my own and a company to run i decide against it most of the time... funny thing really... i mean i used to chop a q a night, now if i buy a g it will sit untouched for weeks before i turf it cause its bad! funny how things change over the years.

hope to have a more indeptth chat in the future about the paths we took and how the tech has changed since our capture and release from the chems!

cheers
cy

wangface
Newb
Newb

Post by wangface » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:21 am

Hey Cy,

Good to see a familiar name on here. Funny the paths we all travel down, huh? Back in 2002, I was a naive kid from a mega conservative school / home life that thought he knew everything there was to know about life, hahahaha. I remember getting smacked fair in the chops by this young Aboriginal fella on William Street in town, waiting for a bus home from 2600. He was high as a kite, and I never saw it coming. That was the beginning of my growing up, hehe. Got robbed and bashed a few more times before I really learned to keep my guard up :)

Good to hear you have managed to fashion a life that makes you happy :) I am not a "family" man so much, but the one mainstay in my life over the last 8 or so years has been my missus. I went AWOL a few times, but guaranteed, without at least maintaining some contact with her in my darker period, I'd definitely be in the slammer, or dead. More likely the latter due to my penchant for opiates.

I too am learning restraint when it comes to cannabis. Such a lovely substance, but I've found that, unlike other drugs, bud is benign in terms of its dependence. It's more what you eschew doing to get stoned than what you do when stoned that is the problem. It's way less overt in how it grips your life. One good thing, I will concede, is that once you've blasted enough bongs, you're pretty much a "stoner" in thought for life :) Even if I never smoked another bud from now one, there's huge facets of my identity and my moral code that were reflected upon, rebuilt, shaped and steeled by being flat on my back stoned in my bedroom over the last 4 years. Drug dependence of any type is a slippery slope at the best of times, but with a comorbid personality disorder, it's hard to self regulate. Phreaking, hacking, collecting field samples and making beats / songs is definitely something that a.) I enjoy doing stoned but b.) a classic example of something that is sometimes hindered by being too torched. Add basketball to that list, hahaha. I've played a few alright games stoned, but when I smashed half a VB longneck and one of my first ever dexies, now THAT was a "career defining moment" hehe.

What kinda company do you run, Cy? Tech related? Congratulations on fatherhood. That's ridiculously cool. As recently as two years ago, I was staunch about never having a kid, but the attrition of the missus plus seeing how much a few of my mates who are WAY younger than me absolutely light up when they're with their kids, I could definitely see myself having a little one. Missus wants a "classic" name, I want a random one chosen from a perp when I am watching The First 48 stoned :)

Oh yeah, if anybody in Perth is down to get some kinda meet going, I am up for it. Doesn't have to be confined to p/h, any dissidents would be welcomed :)

g0dFraY

Post by g0dFraY » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 pm

There must have been a bat signal sent up or something this last month as tonight I too found my way back here too. Haha. Good to hear from you guys, as well as see some of the other old regulars on here plus some new names.
Still in Melbourne Cy?

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Post by -cy- » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:13 pm

WHAT UP MY MAAAAN

yeah i am brother, and u still in granny town :P
tried contacting n3t a while back, he didnt want a bar!
so what ya doing now bud? u've prob read the above so would know most of my news!

any info on the others? what they're doing or contact info?

fuck its good to see ur name, have thought of u all many a time, would be good to do a shadfray meet again oneday!

g0dFraY

Post by g0dFraY » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am

Nah im in Melbourne now (Western Suburbs-Closer to family etc) married, no kids, working as Service Director at a small ICT firm - specializing in medium/large scale network deployments and Unified Comms.
I still keep touch with n3t. He is currently over in WA working as a fibre tech.
Last I heard of Odin (couple years ago) he was heavily into body building (go figure).

I remember reading on a forum some time ago some crew were meeting at our old Platform 5 meeting place.
Made me reminiscent of "the good ol' days".

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Post by -cy- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:58 pm

lol, plt 5. remember that was the "interstate" meeting point, for where u were coming up... dunno why we called it interstate lol.

wow, married too. nice work, how long now!
yeah, no surprise with 0dz... he was always a bit like that. doubt the juice would bother him either... you out there 0din?

n3t in WA, still the same old bloke? kinda miss the days with him in the shadfray shed. funny thing, drive past his place sometimes... the cat5 line is still strung between the chimney and the shed!!

h3ct0r

Post by h3ct0r » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Hahaha, just signed up after what? 8 years or something?

Gday CY, Wangface and holy shit, if it isn't Godfray too.

Been a long time guys lol, whats been happening? Any more of the old faces around here?

Freak
Donater
Donater

Post by Freak » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:41 pm

group hug!!!

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Post by -cy- » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:11 am

dawwwwww!!!!

and sorry guys, that was my *ahem* gun... nothing more...

g0dFraY

Post by g0dFraY » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:33 am

Hey h3ct0r!
Quite bizarre that we all end up here within months of each other after such a long time. As I mentioned, must have been a bat signal or something! Haha, Weird.

Cy; Been married just shy of 2 years, but been together for just over 10 (got together not long after the group fell out).
Yeah n3t is still more or less the same guy, we keep in regular contact.

Timon

Post by Timon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:57 am

lol, ya im still lurken, i have gone up in the world im a admin now ROFL

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Post by -cy- » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:45 pm

WTF data was murdered! was it the russians? no the serbs?
i joke and shouldnt but seriously you know more deets?

funny to see the stereotype at work, somewhat self isolating teens/young adults turn to drugs, become more social, go hard, eventually go home and grow up!

g0dFraY

Post by g0dFraY » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:50 am

Hey Zal!
How you been? You still have anything to do with Marlin? Seems there is a bunch of the old crew here anyway!
I think I recall the social engineering occasion you are talking about! Haha. The one I am immediately thinking of was Primus though ;)

I'll try continue to pass through here a bit more frequently now and again anyway and maybe the odd IRC session :)