best VPN app ?

Everything Mobile Phone Related.
Forum rules
chrisjohnson

best VPN app ?

Postby chrisjohnson » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Hello everyone. I am an Australian resident. I want to use the best best vpn app for android as well as for iphone to safe search n internet & to be more secure online. Would anyone recommend here the best VPN app or would be great if any can also suggest best vpn for iphone 6 or any other iphone vpn app?
Your recommendations will be appreciated if anyone could help in this ..!

PalmTree

Re: best VPN app ?

Postby PalmTree » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:40 pm

I would recommend Orbot and Orfox. Not sure if it's on iOS but its similar to Tor and can be configured to route other traffic through the Tor Network.

stevetaylor

Postby stevetaylor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi,

"The best" is quite subjective. If you're serious about choosing a good VPN provider, then I'd suggest the following website: https://thatoneprivacysite.net.

It has a list of VPN providers and rates their services. If you take a look, you'll see that it quickly becomes complicated. iVPN, Perfect Privacy, and NordVPN are good options. Try to stay away from so-called "VPN reviews", many of which are native advertising (the VPN provider pays for a good review).

Do pay for a VPN if you're serious. Mostly, if you're not paying for a product/service, you are the product. That is, they'll be on-selling your personal information and surfing habits.

As far as I know -- I'm not an Android user -- Orfox will only secure the browsing traffic of the app itself by creating a secure tunnel between the app and the Tor network. Any other traffic on your phone won't be secured through this tunnel. Orbot seems to create a local proxy through which apps are routed to the Tor network. If there's one exception to the "if you're not paying..." rule, it's Tor. I have no idea if Orbot is secure... does it block all traffic if the Tor network can't be reached? Does it startup straight away when your phone is rebooted, or does Google get a whole bunch of information out the door before it starts?

Ultimately it depends on your threat model. If you're trying to avoid the Aussie data retention rules, your telco snooping, or just the government in general, then you'll need what I'm going to describe below. If you just want to google the odd dodgy thing, and you don't care about all your other traffic being snooped, then Orfox is probably fine.

However, for the iPhone there's only one option: Running an IKEv2-authenticated VPN in supervised mode. This ensures that all traffic is routed through the tunnel; if the tunnel is down, Internet access is down too. All that your friendly telco will see is a persistent, encrypted tunnel to your VPN provider. Choose one that has no presence in Australia if you're amazingly paranoid (read: me).

You'll need a VPN provider that supports IKEv2 -- either password- or certificate-based authentication. Perfect Privacy (expensive) or NordVPN are good options.

It's not for the faint of heart: http://www.howtogeek.com/218851/how-to- ... e-or-ipad/.

But it's definitely the most secure.... that is, if you trust your VPN provider...

TomNTom

Postby TomNTom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Thank you so much for the info.

Return to “Everything Mobile”