Man Creates Own Mobile Phone

Everything Mobile Phone Related.
Freak
Donater
Donater

Man Creates Own Mobile Phone

Post by Freak » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Raspberry Pi-using tinkerer David Hunt—who previously built a bark-activated door opener for dogs—is at it again with a real, working cellphone powered by the tiny computer and a few other items.

"PiPhone" cost Hunt $158 to build with these components, all held together with cable ties:

Raspberry Pi Model B – $40
PiTFT Touchscreen 320×240 – $35
2500mAh LiPo battery – $15
SIM900 GSM/GPRS module – $48
DC-DC boost converter 3.3V – 5V 1A – $10
Cables, connectors, switch, etc. – $10
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... e-for-158/

FROGFATT
Newb
Newb

Re: Man Creates Own Mobile Phone

Post by FROGFATT » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Such an awesome pice of tech those raspberry pi's are I own three of them one I setup for old school MAME gaming and one runs XMBC on my tv the other I just play with and experiment wish I could meet like minded people here in Darwin , we even struggle to hold LAN parties here that have more than 20 attending

Nick
Respected
Respected

Re: Man Creates Own Mobile Phone

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:26 pm

There's an interesting read I'm too lazy to Google abut GSM/GPRS chipsets, none of the mobile phone manufacturers except Motorola actually make their own, they all just interface with GSM chips made by other parties, this means that they could be bugged/tapped and the manufacturer of the phone could truly swear there were no backdoors in their product, and they'd be telling the truth, the question is what's in the GSM module?