Telstra modem unlocking?

Internet, Two-Way Radio Communications, WIFI, 3G, etc
Forum rules
illicitBits
Small Maggot
Small Maggot

Telstra modem unlocking?

Postby illicitBits » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey guys I have a couple modems, one of which i know can be unlocked with a firmware hack but the other from what I read needs to be opened up and requires some jumper mods or somesit.
Anyway the one that can be unlocked with the firmware hack, i think it's a Thompson TG782T standard issue from Telstra. The firmware was hosted on Mega Upload but obviously that's not available anymore so wondering if anyone here had a copy.
My TP-LINK is starting to die in the ass and would like a backup modem until i got enough jew coins for a Fritz!Box.
Appreciate your input :)

Freak
Donater
Donater

Re: Telstra modem unlocking?

Postby Freak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 pm

you dont have 40 bux? :) and are you looking to firmware hack it to change the OS etc ?

illicitBits
Small Maggot
Small Maggot

Postby illicitBits » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Freak wrote:you dont have 40 bux? :) and are you looking to firmware hack it to change the OS etc ?

Well i guess i could go buy another POS modem or hold out a couple more months and buy something decent.
The Thompson TG782T can be unlocked with retail firmware, getting root access, modifying config etc and i read a similar process can be applied to the Technicolor TG587n v3.
Read more at this Whirlpool thread, then page 16 and then this Modem-Help thread.
My problems:
    In the Modem-Help thread you need to make a SquashFS partition on a thumb drive that i can't work out using my Mac.
    On page 16 of the Whirlpool thread you need to use the Alcatel modem updater tool that is incompatible with Mountain Lion.
    I don't have easy access to a Windows PC to try the above PC versions of the exploit.

-cy-
ButterFly
ButterFly

Postby -cy- » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm

perhaps its time to try your hand at coding a device driver :)

have looked into flashing and re-using these little telemetry goodies in the past, would be interested to see where you go with this...

illicitBits
Small Maggot
Small Maggot

Postby illicitBits » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

-cy- wrote:perhaps its time to try your hand at coding a device driver :)

have looked into flashing and re-using these little telemetry goodies in the past, would be interested to see where you go with this...

Yeah I'd like to see it go somewhere too.. or anywhere even., I've been thinking of having a play with firmware-mod-kit but nothing for OS X :(
Of course i could always jump on to Debian for a bit but that box is out of order and not a fan of VM on my Mac so kind of looking for easy options at the moment.. i just need reliable wifi so i can stream to Apple TV and not use the 3Gs on my iPhone.

Return to “Other Communications/Technology”